The mosque is located at the distance of 200 kilometres from Bahawalpur a
nd 50 kilometres from Rahim Yar Khan and is well known for its exquisite design and architectural beauty with gold leaves carved for the intricate decorative patterns and the stylish calligraphic work. Sardar Rais Ghazi Mohammad Indhar, a wealthy landlord, commissioned this mosque in 1932 to be the jewel of his new palace compound, which already included a mosque and a prestigious Madrasa (religious school) and was completed in 1982.
Sardar Rais Ghazi Mohammad Indhar, designer, patron and landlord conceived, directed and funded the entire building construction. The construction of mosque was carried out by specialists gathered from all over Pakistan and India: master masons from Rajasthan, India;, craftsmen from Multan for the glazed tile, mosaic and woodwork; and painters and calligraphers from Karachi. Workshops were set up to train craftsmen in skills that had originally been passed from father to son. Materials and crafts used range from the traditional – teak, ivory, marble, coloured glass, onyx, glazed tile, fresco, mirrors, gilded tracery, ceramics, calligraphy and inlay – to the modern and synthetic marbled industrial tile, artificial stone facing, terrazzo, coloured cement tile and wrought iron. Sardar Rais Ghazi’s intention was to represent as many forms of popular craft and as many Islamic religious architectural features as possible. There has been a recent addition to the mosque. A white marbled Quran has been constructed right outside the veranda.
Rais Ghazi Mohammad was given the highest civilian award of Pakistan from the government namely “Sitara-e-Imtiaz” on March 23, 2004 in recognition of his services. A postage stamp depicting it was issued on May 12, 2004 in Pakistan.